A traditional absinthe drip (also called louching) requires certain paraphernalia. You should have an absinthe glass, which has a built-in reservoir that indicates the proper volume of absinthe you should start with, and a slotted absinthe spoon, which holds the sugar cube over the mouth of the glass.
Traditional Absinthe Drip
1 ounce absinthe
1 sugar cube
3 to 5 ounces ice water
- Pour the absinthe into a glass capable of holding 3 to 5 ounces of additional liquid
- Place your absinthe spoon on top of the glass
- Place a sugar cube on top of the spoon
- Very slowly, drip cold water over the sugar cube from an absinthe fountain or a carafe, allowing the the water to dissolve the sugar into the glass. This will cause a cloudy effect, known as the louche.
- Continue dripping the water until the sugar is dissolved and you have reached at least a 3 to 1 and as high as a 5 to 1 ratio of water to absinthe.
- Stir and enjoy!